Django and darwinports

I was pounding away at the basics of Django tonight, and got myself terribly confused when I ran into a new error when attempting to set up the basic django databases (using django-admin.py init). It had worked previously, but tonight I received the error:


Error: The database couldn't be initialized.
You can only execute one statement at a time.

WTF? I thought at first that maybe it was because I was using the raw development branch of Django. After bothering the folks on the irc channel #django, that led me to trying out the code in the python interpreter. It just didn’t make sense. After a few minutes, I resorted back to the Django release (0.91) and ran with that – still got the error.

Now my hackles were up. I started digging around in my prerequisites, and eventually figured out that one of the times that I had updated bits from DarwinPorts, I updated sqlite3 to 3.3.3. I still had version 3.2.7 around, so I dropped back to it. Viola! Everything worked!

After further digging, I realized that DarwinPorts doesn’t make it easy to install older versions of sqlite3… so I took a look at the other component – py-sqlite. It turns out that the port is just slightly outdated – it’s still referencing the 2.0.x branch, and they’re up to 2.1.3 now. After a little more “sudo port …” invocations, I had sqlite 3.3.3 back in place, and py-sqlite 2.1.3 and everything was working great.

I fiddled for a bit making a new Portfile for py-sqlite, but something in the testing and prefix setup of the whole thing knocked me sideways. I fired off what I thought should be about right for the updated Portfile to the maintainer and asked for help – hopefully I hear something in the next few days. In the meantime, I’ll run from source that I manually installed – although I’d prefer to stick with the DarwinPorts setup. I probably just borked something making the new Portfile, or setting up to test it. I am NOT a port wizard, that’s for sure.

Hopefully if some other poor soul runs across this problem (until we get the Portfile updated) maybe Google will help provide an answer.